DCR Gamer Forge Listener Email:
Comments: You guys have covered just about everything its seems with the Gamer Forge. Hopefully you haven't covered my question.
1. How can I go from running games out of pre-written modules and to something of my own creation.
2. What is a good balance in world creation?
3. Is there anything as too much roleplaying?
4. And finally what is a good style to write for my adventures?
Gamer Forge and the Playing group know as "The Corner" Response:
Even though Shadowhawk asked several great questions we could only select one of these and we went with the first one. When going from the box to a free-form jazz odyssey (Jazz Hands!), DCR says;
1. Hook! It's all about the initial buy-in. Give a reason to jump away from the module when it is time to jump away from the module. No need to rush. Once you got everyone sold on your hook, you can drop the box and move into your own efforts.
2. Bait! Entice the adventurers with something they want anyway. Think back to an early conflict where someone escaped and comes back for revenge. Take juicy tidbits from character backstory and throw them something they would want to chase. Remember, GMs/referees/DMs/storytellers/watchers/mediators, you are entertaining your players. That leaves us with...
3. Pay attention! Read your players. Know what they will do next. At least have a good idea of what they will do next. Look for seemingly harmless incidents that the players wouldn't think about later. Sometimes, the best encounters don't involve a big, bad monster, but when something bites the adventurers on the ass down the road.
The GamerForge is DungeonCrawlersRadio’s most favoritist segment of the entire show. Have you ever had a boggling rules question that no one in the group can figure out? Write in to us and we’ll help try to solve it! Are you a Game/Dungeon Master who needs help squashing animosity at the table or dissension in the ranks? Perhaps we can help!
If you are in need of help, encouragement, or an uber devious way to get a TPK, we are here to help. No matter your needs, we’ll help you get more from your gaming!
The Gamer Forge
Where Players & Game Masters can come for valuable information to level up your game!