DCR Listener Email:
Comments: best way to run a futuristic game?
DCR Gamer Forge Response:
To build a wicked-smooth future game, DCR and Writing Snippets say:
1. Infrastructure. Is the government still standing? What does it look like? Has a new one taken its place? Are the players going to be outsiders looking in, or vice versa? Figure out a time period where this will be taking place in relation to the present.
2. There is a schism between people, but how did that happen? Future/dystopian stories often explore themes dealing with the human spirit or the human condition. Think of a very broad theme to help set the tone throughout. Common themes include justifying survival, willingness to tell the truth, capitalism vs. socialism, and forsaking personal love. Have events of this nature be heavy and give players some time to cope with the consequences. These are great role-play opportunities.
3. Opposition. Create conflict before the game even starts. One group of people have evolved into nature revering elves, while another group has evolved into intelligent cannibals, while another has secluded themselves and devoted themselves to the preservation of technology. Now the players have to pick a side and fight for it.
To go the extra mile, some good source material to check out:
1. Read "The Hunger Games" novels
2. Play Fallout 3 on the Xbox 360 or PS3
3. Watch The Terminator, Akira or Logan's Run movies
4. The Rifts Earth, Eclipse Phase, and Post-Apocalypse Hero 5th edition are all great sources and systems with which to play off of.
Special thanks to the crew of Writing Snippets to help level up your next game.
7/22/2012 10:34:38 pm
Subsequently, after spending many hours on the internet at last We've uncovered an individual that definitely does know what they are discussing many thanks a great deal wonderful post
Leave a Reply.
The GamerForge is DungeonCrawlersRadio’s most favoritist segment of the entire show. Have you ever had a boggling rules question that no one in the group can figure out? Write in to us and we’ll help try to solve it! Are you a Game/Dungeon Master who needs help squashing animosity at the table or dissension in the ranks? Perhaps we can help!
If you are in need of help, encouragement, or an uber devious way to get a TPK, we are here to help. No matter your needs, we’ll help you get more from your gaming!
The Gamer Forge
Where Players & Game Masters can come for valuable information to level up your game!