Name: The Rick-Mietser
Comments: Hey guys I am having trouble coming up with a story for my gaming group. And since I see you have the gang from Writing Snippets with you maybe they coudl help me out.
I am wanting to run a game with political intrigue, a kidnapped princess, a stolen magical broach, and tyrant king. But I am not really sure where to begin let alone how to tie it all together?
Your friend and listener,
DCR Gamer Forger Response:
To get that magic mix of intrigue, princess, tyrant king, and a fashion accessory, DCR and Writing Snippets say:
1. Consider the possibilities if the princess wasn't really kidnapped. Maybe she left of her own volition. Maybe she was supposed to be kidnapped but escaped at the last moment. Maybe the characters thwart the kidnapping without realizing the big picture. Intrigue!
2. Maybe the magic brooch isn't magic at all, but has a significance altogether powerful. Maybe it's a symbol of the rightful ruler and the princess is stealing it from the tyrant king.
3. The king just has the reputation of being a tyrant and the princess is actually selfish and wants to rule herself. Intrigue!
4. Show the scope of the machinations. Don't include the king and princess directly, but use their servants and handmaidens and guards. These are powerful people and likely will use pawns to make their political maneuvers for them. Especially those hapless players characters. Intrigue!
5. The brooch is EVIL. The king isn't evil, but the brooch has a will of it's own and making him do terrible things. This makes for a litany of, you guessed it...Intrigue!
6. This is important: Bank on your players wanting to get the brooch for themselves. You are drawing attention to it, thus it will become the object of their desires. Plan elements of your story around this.